Sunday, February 21, 2010

dark chocolate cheesecake




The other night, the boys and I were out for dinner.  When it came to ordering dessert, they both ordered cheesecake.  They asked my why I never made cheesecake, and I realized that I haven't made it for about 10 years.  I don't know why.  So I dusted off my "Joy of Cheesecake" book and got my springform pan.  

    
I prefer my cheesecakes to be plain and unadulterated.  I'm not crazy about sauces, whipped cream on anything else messing up my cheesecake.  I'll have my plain please.  I don't want anything to get in my way of enjoying it in all its simple goodness



Dark Chocolate Cheesecake
(from “The Joy of Cheesecake” by Dana Bovbjerg & Jeremy Iggers)

Crumb crust
1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
6 tablespoons melted butter
¼ cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Place the crumbs in a mixing bowl and add the butter and sugar.  Blend well.

Press the crumb mixture onto the bottom and partly up the sides of a greased springform pan.  Smooth the crumb mixture along the bottom to an even thickness.

Bake for 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven.  Cool before filling.



Cheese cake

Ingredients
5 squares (5 ounces) semisweet chocolate
1 ½ pounds cream cheese
¾ cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream

Preheat the oven to 275 degrees.

Melt the chocolate in a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese with the sugar until the mixture is smooth and light.

Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese with the sugar until the mixture is smooth and light.

Beat in the eggs and the vanilla.

Stir in the melted chocolate and the sour cream into the cream cheese mixture and blend well.

Pour the mixture into the prepared crust and bake for 1 hour, 15 minutes.  Turn off the heat and allow the cake to cool in the oven.  Chill.


No comments: